Death toll in Yemen's suicide bombing rises to 96
Yemen's Defense Ministry says the casualty toll in a suicide bombing at a military parade rehearsal in the capital Sanaa has risen to 96 deaths and at least 200 wounded.
Military officials said Monday's bombing, which took place near Sanaa's presidential palace, is one of the deadliest attacks in the city in years.
They say the attacker was a soldier taking part in the drill, lining up with fellow troops at a main square in the capital.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.
Nobody has claimed responsibility for the attack, but Yemen's army has been battling al-Qaida militants who took advantage of political turmoil last year to seize control of territory in the country's south.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Coast Guard is disputing a report that Guard members were attacked while on a training mission in Yemen. A Guard spokesman the U.S. has a training mission in Yemen, but there are no U.S. Guard personnel in the country at this time and none was involved in an attack.
Yemeni officials reported that an American was injured when three guardsmen were shot at while driving near their hotel in the Red Sea port city of Hodeida on Sunday.
- N.Korea Willing To Take China's Advice To Start Talks
- Obama May Limit Drone Use, Discuss Guantanamo In Major Speech
- Pistorius, Semenya off Olympic funding program
- London attack leaves one dead, 2 hospitalized
- Turkey Shuts Syria Border Crossing After Deadly Bombs
- EU steps up fight against tax evasion by end 2013
- Costa Concordia Shipwreck Captain To Face Manslaughter Trial
- Kerry: US, allies, ready to step up aid rebels
- Rescuers Search Oklahoma Tornado Town Ruins
- Evening News, May 21, 2013