KFC fined $8 million for Australia food poisoning
An Australian judge has ordered KFC to pay $8.3 million to the family of a Sydney girl left brain damaged after eating one of the fast food giant's chicken wraps.
Monika Samaan's family sued KFC, claiming the then-7-year-old girl contracted salmonella poisoning from a KFC chicken wrap in 2005. Samaan was in a coma for months and left with brain damage.
New South Wales Supreme Court Justice Stephen Rothman ruled last week that KFC was responsible for the food poisoning. On Friday, he ordered KFC to pay AU$8 million damages plus legal costs.
KFC denied responsibility and said it would appeal.
Samaan's lawyer, George Vlahakis, said the family was relieved the court battle was over, but is upset about KFC's plans to appeal.
- N.Korea Willing To Take China's Advice To Start Talks
- Obama Limits Use Of US Drone Strikes, Offers Steps To Close Guantanamo
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest
- Pistorius, Semenya off Olympic funding program
- Evening News, May 22, 2013
- London attack leaves one dead, 2 hospitalized
- Turkey Shuts Syria Border Crossing After Deadly Bombs
- EU steps up fight against tax evasion by end 2013
- Costa Concordia Shipwreck Captain To Face Manslaughter Trial
- Kerry: US, allies, ready to step up aid rebels