Balkan American Community Center Encourages Voting
The Balkan -American Community Centers seek to integrate American and Balkan culture. It is a means to understand the two ways of life, and find a common path. Now, the Bronx gets its very own center, that seeks to educate its members about the power of the ballot.
This weekend, the Bronx got its own Balkan American Community centers.
Live music and a smorgasbord of delicacies kept the new members busy.
Staff on hand, at the center, helped register people to vote.
One of the directors for Register Balkan Americans, Mervijan Redzeposka , says too many Balkan Americans are skipping the polls.
"The reality is our community is so far behind in understanding the importance of voting, and very few of them are even registered to vote, " adds Redzeposka.
In addition to getting more Balkan Americans politically involved, community center leaders say, their goal is to strengthen relationships between Americans and Balkans -making their voices heard.
At the center, there will be computer literacy classes for the adults, SAT prep classes for high schoolers and lots of games for the kids
Sunaj Asanov , President of the Balkan American community center, says he wants everyone to feel welcome at the center.
"We want this to be a place where they come to learn and play and have fun," Asanov explains
The community center is located at 2506 Hughes Avenue and is open daily.
- N.Korea Willing To Take China's Advice To Start Talks
- Obama Limits Use Of US Drone Strikes, Offers Steps To Close Guantanamo
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest
- Pistorius, Semenya off Olympic funding program
- Evening News, May 22, 2013
- London attack leaves one dead, 2 hospitalized
- Turkey Shuts Syria Border Crossing After Deadly Bombs
- EU steps up fight against tax evasion by end 2013
- Costa Concordia Shipwreck Captain To Face Manslaughter Trial
- Kerry: US, allies, ready to step up aid rebels