Dallas County Reports 100 Cases
A state of emergency has been declared across Dallas County in Texas... as the plague of the West Nile virus continues to spread. Due to the heavy mosquito breeding, Dallas has become the most serious virus-infested spot.
Dallas County Health and Human Services has encouraged residents to take actions to prevent mosquito bites.
Zachary S. Thompson, Dallas County Health and Human Services,said: "Not only do you take the information, but you pass it on to your children. and to your neighbors, and that's why we start here. We realize that prevention is the key."
Over 100 residents of the state have been infected with the West Nile virus through mosquitoes, and 15 of them died.
A Dallas resident said: "I am afraid of it and the reason I'm afraid of, I've lost a loved one, and it happened two weeks ago, I lost my cousin, yes, to the west Nile virus."
This year's West Nile virus epidemics is the most serious one since 2004, with 42 states reporting infected cases.
The virus usually explodes between June and September, and this year's high temperature may lead to a prolonged epidemic period.
A Dallas resident said: "I have not been gone out as much as I used to, I'm wearing long sleeves, I put this little jacket on before I came in, but I'm still wearing long dresses, long pants, sleeve."
The West Nile virus usually spreads from poultry to human beings through mosquitoes.
People have fevers and headaches when they get infected.
At present, there is no specific drugs to cure the diseases, and no vaccine for humans either.
- IMF's Lagarde Escapes Formal Investigation In Court
- Radiation leak at Japan lab; small impact expected
- Hezbollah's Role Grows in Syria
- Rescuers look for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Stretched By Riots, Swedish Police Call Reinforcements
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Cameron: This Will Make Us Stronger