Defected Assad confidant visiting Turkey
Turkey says the brigadier general who defected from the Syrian regime is on a visit to Ankara.
A Foreign Ministry statement did not specify if Manaf Tlass had yet landed in Turkey but said Turkish officials were hosting him Thursday night for a special dinner during Ramadan, the Muslim holy fasting month.
Tlass was a commander in the powerful Republican Guard and a close friend of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
He is the most prominent person to defect from the Syrian regime as it has cracked down over the past 16 months on an increasingly armed opposition movement - a conflict that has left thousands dead and spiraled into civil war.
Tlass defected in early July and flew to Paris. He has also recently been in Saudi Arabia.
- Liberia: Liberian-Turkish Light international School: Liberian Students Win Medals in Int'l School Competition
- Liberia: Liberian Arts, Culture and Investment Possibilities Showcase At Doha African Festival
- Liberia: Alfalit Int'l Commences Female Training Cycle
- Banks Re-Open After Cyprus Bailout
- 100 thousand Indians entered a contest on Gulen's writing
- Liberia: Tullow Oil and Heritage in tax battle
- Liberia: Post 2015 Consultations Start Soon
- Liberia UNMIL: No Turning Back - Says It remains Committed To Liberia’s Security As Transition Continues
- Liberia:‘Biased’ Reshuffle -Liberians Disapprove The President’s Movement Of Her Officials
- Liberia:AGREEMENT SIGNED FOR GARDNERSVILLE ROAD