Rebels Take Swathes of Aleppo
Regime forces battle the rebels in Aleppo.
The intense clashes have forced citizens to flee the region in thousands.
The rebel forces, are usually armed with assault rifles and machine guns.
However, near Aleppo a surface-to-air missile launcher was positioned to attack a government warplane.
Meanwhile, the rebels made headway by capturing a tank from the regime.
In a sign of growing strength for the opposition, regime troops defect, bringing 4 tanks with them.
There is also ongoing shelling in the embattled city of Homs and gun battles in Daraa
Clashes between regime forces and the Free Syrian Army, continue on the border with Turkiye as well
Meanwhile UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moo, has told the Syrian government to end the violence
Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General: "..I am extremely concerned by the impact of shelling and use of other heavy weapons on civilians in Aleppo and other locations in Syria.
The UN's military observer force in Syria, has been sidelined by the violence
More than a dozen UN armored vehicles, have been destroyed by blasts and shelling
- Rome Protest Turns Up Heat On New PM Letta
- North Korea Fires Three Short-Range Missiles
- GOP hopes IRS scandal will snag health care law
- Japan Economy on the Road to Recovery
- Assad: Syria transition talks are internal matter
- Suspected US drone in Yemen kills 4 militants
- WHO: Death Toll From New Bird Flu In China Rises To 36
- Former Argentine Dictator Videla Dies In Prison At Age 87
- IMF says Cyprus at risk of even deeper recession
- UN says Syrian refugees top 1.5M