Sub Atomic Particle - Discovery of the Century
Scottish physicist Peter Higgs, and five other scientists, predicted the presence of an energy field where particles interact with a key particle.
Director of the European Center for Nuclear Research said that the 'the missing cornerstone' of particle physics has finally been discovered.
Rolf Heuer, CERN Director General: "...We have discovered a new particle, a boson. Most probably a Higgs boson but we have to find out which kind of Higgs boson this is: does it have the properties which we expect from the standard model..."
Peter Higgs, physicist: "Well, for me personally it's just the confirmation of something that I did 48 years ago and it's very satisfying to be proved right in some way..."
The Higgs boson, which until now has been a theoretical particle, is seen as the key to understanding why matter has mass.
Joe Incandela, Compact Muon Solenoid Spokesperson: "This boson is a very profound thing we have found. OK? This is not like other ordinary particles. It really is, we are reaching into the fabric of the universe at a level we have never done before..."
The Large Hadron Collider at the CERN,has been creating high-energy collisions of protons.
This helps investigate the nature of dark matter, antimatter and the creation of the universe.
- N.Korea Willing To Take China's Advice To Start Talks
- Obama Limits Use Of US Drone Strikes, Offers Steps To Close Guantanamo
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest
- Pistorius, Semenya off Olympic funding program
- Evening News, May 22, 2013
- London attack leaves one dead, 2 hospitalized
- Turkey Shuts Syria Border Crossing After Deadly Bombs
- EU steps up fight against tax evasion by end 2013
- Costa Concordia Shipwreck Captain To Face Manslaughter Trial
- Kerry: US, allies, ready to step up aid rebels