84th Republic Day Celebrated in Washington DC
(ebru News/AP) Turkish Ambassador Nabi Shen-soy and his wife in Washington DC hosted an evening celebration making the 84th anniversary of republic day. Among the distinguished guests were the US Defense chief Robert Gates and U.S. Undersecretary of Defense Eric Edelman.
Under tight security measures, the reception took place at Turkish Embassy in Washington DC and was attended by many bureaucrats and other high level officials from different nations.
Minutes before the reception, Gates arrived at the embassy and he had a short conversation with Turkish Ambassador to the US, Nabi Sensoy.
In the highly participated reception by the American high level officials, Under Secretary for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns, U.S. Undersecretary of Defense Eric Edelman, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Matthew Bryza, and retired General Joseph Ralston, the US special envoy for countering the PKK, were among the top officials of the evening.
Speaking at the reception, Gen. Ralston underlined the importance of multilateral involvement of nations to resolve the PKK terror in Northern Iraq and said that the efforts made so far was not enough.
Ralston also noted that he felt sorry since the US didn't take the necessary steps to end this menace in the region.
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Stretched By Riots, Swedish Police Call Reinforcements
- Cameron: This Will Make Us Stronger
- Obama Limits Use Of US Drone Strikes, Offers Steps To Close Guantanamo
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest
- Pistorius, Semenya off Olympic funding program
- N.Korea Willing To Take China's Advice To Start Talks
- Evening News, May 22, 2013