Turkish Prime Minister Campaigns for EU Membership
(Ebru News/AP) Turkish Prime Minister RECEP TAYYIP ERDOGAN's is spearheading the nation's full membership to EU and democratization attempts. Erdogan who has stated that the EU talks are on track and have been going on with an enthusiastic determination complained about the recent blockings by the opposition parties. Today Erdogan was at an inauguration ceremony in Istanbul.
Speaking at the meeting of the Turkey-EU Joint Consultation Committee, Erdogan said that Turkiye's membership in the EU would make valuable contributions to the Union.
Pres. Erdogan said :
"We plan to make all the necessary legal arrangements in Turkiye to be in harmony with the EU acquis by the year 2013 despite all obstructions and all discouraging attempts."
Erdogan criticized the attitude of the acting speaker of the parliament Guldal Mumcu on her deliberate delay of the draft bill for the amendment of the infamous Article 301.
Prime Minister Erdogan said the amendments regarding the Constitution will be made sooner or later.
Following the program, Erdogan went to a mosque in the environs for the Friday Prayer. As usual, after the prayer Erdogan distributed some toys to the children of the neighborhood.
Erdogan also attended an inauguration of an Olympic Sports Hall.
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Stretched By Riots, Swedish Police Call Reinforcements
- Cameron: This Will Make Us Stronger
- Obama Limits Use Of US Drone Strikes, Offers Steps To Close Guantanamo
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest
- Pistorius, Semenya off Olympic funding program
- N.Korea Willing To Take China's Advice To Start Talks
- Evening News, May 22, 2013