Ergenekon Indictments Complete
The indictment of the members of the Ergenekon terror organization is finally complete. The investigation started a year ago and since then no indictment was able to be prepared due to the complex structure of the organization. So far more than 49 suspects have been detained.
The investigation was started when a number of ammunitions were discovered in Umraniye suburb of Istanbul at a depot.
More than 100 suspects were taken into custody. Among the detainees were journalists, retired military officers, politicians, and university lecturers. Now everyone is closely watching for the indictment following the recent detentions carried out in the provinces of Istanbul, Ankara, Trabzon, Antalya and Erzurum.
The indictment has been reported to be comprised of more than 2000 pages.
When the indictment has been transferred to the National Judiciary Network, it will be presented to a capable court. Meanwhile, it is reported that an additional indictment would be prepared for yesterday's detentions.
Criminal Courts in Istanbul's Besiktas court house are requesting no other law case files be sent to the court in which the Ergenekon case would be trialed. Until April 2009 no case files will be sent to the court as a result of the review of the Prime Ministry.
- Japan Economy on the Road to Recovery
- IMF says Cyprus at risk of even deeper recession
- $1 million in jewels stolen near Cannes film fest
- UN says Syrian refugees top 1.5M
- WHO: Death Toll From New Bird Flu In China Rises To 36
- Former Argentine Dictator Videla Dies In Prison At Age 87
- US, Turkey project united front on Syria
- Obama Says "No Apologies" Over U.S. Security Leak Probe
- Evening News, May 15, 2013
- Beckham to retire from soccer at end of season