Saudi official backs arms for Syrian rebels
The Saudi foreign minister says arming the rebels fighting the brutal regime of President Bashar Assad is "an excellent idea."
Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal went further than any of the other Friends of Syria nations meeting in Tunis Friday to increase pressure on Assad to call for a cease-fire, step down and allow humanitarian aid to flow to hard-hit areas.
Asked at the start of a meeting with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton if he thought arming the Syrian opposition was a good idea, al-Faisal said: "I think it's an excellent idea." Asked why, he said, "Because they have to protect themselves."
The group is demanding that Assad step down or face as-yet undefined punishments.
- German central bank: Economy to improve 'markedly'
- Syria, Israel Exchange Fire On Golan Heights
- White House counsel kept IRS probe results from Obama
- Suicide at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris
- Fire chief: search almost complete in Oklahoma after tornado
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- 24 dead in Oklahoma twister
- Assad: Syria transition talks are internal matter
- Suspected US drone in Yemen kills 4 militants
- Rome Protest Turns Up Heat On New PM Letta