South African Mayors to Work Harder Towards a Greener Tomorrow
Mayors across South Africa gathered at the Mayors' Conference on Climate Change on Sunday to discuss methods on mitigating the climate change.
The conference spans over a three day period between the 9th and 11th of October and nearly 278 Municipalities will participate. The conference was held in Ekurhuleni, South Africa.
Councillor Thabo Manyoni, Chairman of the South African Local Government Association (SALGA) warned that the climate change was not a problem of the national government alone but a problem for every municipality.
He pointed out it was the communities that suffered the natural disasters and urged the need for every municipality to come up with initiatives to address the effects of climate change towards a greener tomorrow.
Councillor Thabo stated, "The intention of the conference is to make sure that the mayors of municipalities and the officials of municipalities are fully briefed on matters pertaining to climate change.”
The conference will also feature workshops to create awareness and prepare local governments for the upcoming COP17/CMP7 which will be held in Durban, South Africa between November 28th and December 09th.
COP17 is the 17th Conference of the Parties (COP17) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and CMP7 is the 7th Session of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the parties (CMP7).
Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training, Professor Hlengiwe Mkhize also addressed the conference pushing for urgent changes with regard to climate changes which if not implemented would have devastating consequences.
- N.Korea Willing To Take China's Advice To Start Talks
- Obama Limits Use Of US Drone Strikes, Offers Steps To Close Guantanamo
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest
- Pistorius, Semenya off Olympic funding program
- Evening News, May 22, 2013
- London attack leaves one dead, 2 hospitalized
- Turkey Shuts Syria Border Crossing After Deadly Bombs
- EU steps up fight against tax evasion by end 2013
- Costa Concordia Shipwreck Captain To Face Manslaughter Trial
- Kerry: US, allies, ready to step up aid rebels