1.2 Billion Muslims Start a Month of Fasting
During Ramadan, it is obligatory for all adult and physically fit Muslims to begin a process of purification. It is one of the five pillars of the Islamic faith.
Muslims across the globe unite to observe this month with great enthusiasm and joy.
Every part of the body must refrain from bad deeds. The tongue must avoid gossiping and the ears must avoid listening to idle conversation.
The most prominent event of this month is the fasting- practiced by Muslims around the world.
Every day, Muslims start their fast a couple of hours before the break of dawn and break their fast at sunset.
The fast is intended to be an act of deep personal worship. Fasting allows the believers to experience the deprivation of the poor.
- Lawyer for Gadhafi son wants him handed to ICC
- Demonstrators flood Brazilian streets in protest
- G-8 summit turns focus to clampdown on tax-dodging
- Syrian warplanes strike rebel posts in Aleppo
- Greece's public TV still off despite court ruling
- US, Taliban to start talks on ending Afghan war
- Turkey Could Deploy Army To Quell Protests
- Turkish riot police storm Istanbul park to end protests
- Egypt cuts relations with Syrian government
- US-bound Egypt plane diverted after threat